What’s one of the tastiest ways to tell your kiddos you love them this Valentine’s Day? By getting them into the kitchen to make mini homemade ice cream sandwiches!
This recipe, created by Chef Liz Wilcox, combines the homemade goodness of fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies with strawberry ice cream. She’s showing us home to make the ice cream from scratch, but you can always cheat a bit and pick up a pint of your favorite, too.
The most important thing to remember when making these with littles? Have extra chocolate chips on hand (check out the video to see why…).
Don’t be afraid to let even the littlest kiddos crack the eggs! Honestly, it’s no trouble to scoop a little egg shell out and the looks when they actually crack it? Priceless.
What makes the homemade ice cream so sweet? Strawberry jam (yes! You can make delicious strawberry ice cream even when the fruit isn’t in season).
Well, the jam topped with Valentine’s Day jimmies, colored sugar, and M&Ms. Sweetness delivered!
Homemade Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 3 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream heavy whipping cream
- 2 Cups Half and Half
- 10 Egg Yolks
- 6 Oz Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Strawberry Jam
- Red Food Coloring (if desired)
- 1 1/3 Cup Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons White Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Assorted jimmies
- Mini M&M’s
- Colored sugars
- ICE CREAM: Bring to a boil the half and half, ½ of the sugar (by eye), and ½ of the cream (by eye). In a separate bowl, combine the remaining cream, sugar and yolks. Temper hot cream into the yolks whisking the hole time. Pour all back into the pot and cook until nappe (sauce coats the back of the spoon). Immediately strain the mixture. Add jam and red food coloring until ice cream base turns pink. Cool in the refrigerator. Once cold pour into your ice cream machine. This will take about 20-30 minutes. Pour onto a silpat lined sheet pan spreading ½” thick and freeze.
- CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BITES: Cream the butter and sugars. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture. Mix until combined. Add chips and mix. Use a melon baller to make small rounds of dough. Place on a silpat lined sheet tray. Bake 375’F 8-10 minutes. (Under bake). As soon as they come out of the oven stamp out rounds using a 2” round cutter. This will make every sandwich uniform. Set aside.
- ASSEMBLY: Get a small bowl of hot water. Place cookie cutter in hot water (using the same cutter that you used for the cookies). Stamp out rounds of ice cream. Use an offset spatula to pick up a disc of ice cream and place between two cookies. Roll in assorted jimmies. Freeze an hour before serving. Enjoy!
Chef Liz offers pastry cooking classes in her Jarretsville home! Parent/child classes, kid classes, adult classes — she’ll customize an experience just for you. All classes are 1 hour in length and everything you make in class you take home with you. Fee includes lesson, some of the ingredients, recipe and fun! Classes are based on what you want to learn! Email her for more details.
Photos by Laura Black.