Know what the best part of this espresso and chile-rubbed flank steak recipe is? Well, beside the fact that it feeds a crew. It’s the perfect blend and savory and sweet.
Yes, sweet. The coffee and chile give the meat a nice kick — but it finishes with a sweet honey blend. Perfect for picky kiddos!
We paired the steak with roasted fingerling potatoes. Be sure to get the multicolor ones. Your kiddo will get a kick out of a blue “tato.”
Whole Foods is making it easier for the holidays, too! Order holiday meals, entrées and party must-haves (for pick up in store) November 1 through November 22 and get $10 off your next in-store purchase. Order in store OR online!
- 1 1/2 pounds Flank Steak (fat trimmed)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Espresso Beans (finely ground)
- 2-3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 Dried Chipotle Pepper (ground, stems removed)
- 2 tablespoons Ancho Chile Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 tablespoon Ground Pepper Blend
- 3 Garlic Cloves (finely minced)
- 1/4 cup Oregano (finely chopped)
- 6 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-3 tablespoons Water
- 1 1/2 pounds Mixed Color Fingerling Potatoes (whole)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Basil Vinegar
- 8-10 Garlic cloves (whole; for potatoes)
- 8 Medium Shallots (halved length ways)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Rosemary (whole sprigs and chopped)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Oregano (chopped)
- 1/8 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (grated fine)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, add the dry ingredients and blend until well combined.
- Add the garlic, honey and olive oil to the spice blend, stirring everything together and forming a thick paste. Slowly begin to add the water, making sure to stir frequently.
- Once the spice mixture has been blended thoroughly, pour the liquid rub over the steak and gently massage the rub into the steak, making sure to cover every nook and cranny. Don’t worry about getting your hands right in -- your taste buds will thank you later!
- Set meat aside and let the spice blend rest for 1-2 hours.
- While meat is resting, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a 2 inch baking dish, add fingerling potatoes, garlic cloves, shallots rosemary, and oregano evenly.
- Drizzle olive oil over the dish, making sure to cover the potatoes.
- Add chopped rosemary, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the dish on the center rack and cook at 425 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Set grill to high, or use direct heat for charcoal.
- Place meat on direct heat and cook for 8-12 minutes, turning once halfway through. Cook times vary depending on the thickness of the cut.
- Remove the steak from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven, while hot dust the potatoes with some freshly grated cheese, as well as salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice steak into 1/4 inch slices and serve hot, enjoy!
- Don't be scared of the prep time! Most of that time the meat is 'marinating' in the rub!
about our sponsor: whole foods market baltimore
Whole Foods Market Baltimore makes it easy on area families to eat fresh, healthy meals every day. The seek out the finest natural and organic foods available, maintain the strictest quality standards in the industry, and have an unshakeable commitment to sustainable agriculture.
They’re making it easier for the holidays, too! Order holiday meals, entrées and party must-haves (for pick up in store) November 1 through November 22 and get $10 off your next in-store purchase. Order in store OR online!