Luke, Leia and Zuri, the lion cubs at The Maryland Zoo, are growing by leaps and bounds under the care and supervision of the Maryland Zoo staff. The public is invited to watch cubs from inside the Giraffe Yard from 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM on Saturday. Zoo Bloom will be in full swing, so it’s a great reason to get out of the house and head to the Zoo!
Maryland Zoo Lion Cubs Fun Facts
- Luke, Leia and Zuri are the three cubs at the Zoo – weighing in at close to 70 lbs each!
- Luke is cautious and more easily startled than the two girls.
- Leia is bold, taking the lead when presented with new play items.
- Zuri is more observant, assessing the situation and the other cubs’ reactions before deciding what to do next.
- The cubs spend much of their awake time playing with various objects. This play time is very important to their growth as they are learning skills they will use as adults including stalking and pouncing.
- Animal care staff have been “baby-proofing” the lion exhibit with additional safety features to ensure that the cubs aren’t at risk when it is time for them to explore their outdoor habitat.
About Zoo Bloom
Celebrate the start of another wild Zoo season at their newest event this Saturday from 10 AM – 4 PM. Kick off another season of fun and family memories with special spring treats, activities and giveaways. The event includes music, games, temporary tattoos, animal enrichment activities and cake courtesy of Charm City Cakes (while supplies last).