Breakfasts have become more adventurous since I’ve gone dairy-free. Scrambled eggs with guacamole kind-of-adventurous. Which may not seem very avant-garde to you, but for this cereal-and-milk or I’ll-have-a-muffin girl, guac before noon was previously ‘crazy.’
I’ve even tried all sorts of oatmeal recipes (which I never thought I’d do) and — low and behold — found one I ACTUALLY like! Dairy-free and packed with antioxidant punch, this recipe calls for steel cut oats and cooks in the crockpot overnight. Added bonus? Your house smells like a bakery when you wake up. Made enough to last several days.
Perfect for the whole family – including your pint-sized superhero.
(aka: Banana Coconut Crockpot Oatmeal)
Adapted from Pepperplate
- 2 medium ripe bananas, sliced (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 box of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 to 1/2 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- Crumbled dried banana
How to Make It:
1. Coat your crockpot with cooking spray.
2. Mix together all ingredients except the dried banana and raisins. Cook on low overnight.
3. Before serving, top with crumbled dried banana and raisins.