Baltimore City Rec and Parks (BCRP) released an update today about their city playground improvement project today. Last summer, BCRP hired its first playgrounds safety coordinator, Sarah Hope. Since then, the department has assessed the conditions of 121 playgrounds on BCRP property.
Due to warmer-than-usual winter weather, they’ve gotten a head start on their plans and made some terrific progress. Some highlights from the article:
- About 2,400 cubic yards of playground mulch was hauled and spread at 60 playgrounds this past fall
- New parts have been purchased and installed at 15 locations, including Herring Run’s Halls Springs site, and Bocek Park and Carroll Park playgrounds.
- A large order has been approved by the City’s Board of Estimates and will provide replacement parts for equipment damaged at 17 playgrounds.
- Ground will break at Kimberliegh Wilson Playlot and Buena Vista Park before spring to accommodate new play structures.
- Construction was recently completed on new playgrounds opened to the public in December at Easterwood Park, Burdick Park and Windsor Hill.
- Sixteen other playground renovations are in the works this year.
They are asking for community support! If your community group, school, non-profit or religious organization frequently uses a Parks playground, they’d like to know about it! They’ll help you schedule a clean-up day, tree planting or community event. They have also put together a playgrounds volunteer manual for any group interested in adopting a playground and maintaining them. Email playgrounds safety coordinator Sarah Hope for more information.