When talking about nutrition and self care, this is the time that most of my mommy clients fall off the wagon. It’s the crazy time when camp is over and yet there is still a week or two to go before school time. It’s “showtime” and the moms need to be “on.”
The mommies are too busy to cook, care for themselves or go to the grocery store. We are grabbing anything to eat, while on the run, and are just feeling bogged down and lousy. What’s worse is that they want more sugar. They can’t stay on a healthy plan. What to do?!
Here are a few simple steps that will help with cravings, and will hopefully support your sanity.
- Get enough water and sleep. Most know that, but few can do it! With more sleep and water, you are better able to meet the other challenges. It’s true!! You totally have more will power and can say no to the chocolate marshmallow covered snowball when you have slept a full 8 hours and are not parched. Believe me!!
- Do a protein shake every morning! Want energy fast and easy? Get a boost from these easily made and deliciously cool concoctions. Have one in the morning for a great balance of protein, fats and carbohydrates, or do it in the afternoon during the 3pm “dwindles.” These are great for kids too. Make a blender full and share it. Call it a “milkshake” and watch them guzzle it down.
- Green lemonade. It is a filling and detoxifying drink. Put some lemons, cucumbers, mint and a bit of stevia into your blender. Blend and serve over ice. Sip in the morning and after lunch for an amazing pick me up. This will help make you more alkaline, help with weight loss, and sugar cravings.
- Take your snacks with you everywhere. Whether you think you are going home or not! Getting caught unawares without something to eat is when you have to pull over and get a donut!! Travel with protein bars, cherries, apples and raw nuts.
- Get protein at breakfast and lunch. In my practice, this is where I see most women get tripped up. Women stay “in control” for some of the day, but when 3pm comes, or after dinner, they get waves of sweet and carbohydrate cravings. This is happens when meals aren’t balanced enough. Go ahead and eat the bigger breakfast and lunch. You will see that the cravings are diminished.
- Detox! Do a week or a month detox of protein shakes and light meals. This is a great jump start to any wellness program.
Try a couple or all of these things to get ahead of the busiest weeks of summer. Do a little self care in the morning and enjoy huge payoffs.
Ana Goldseker is a certified nutrition consultant and owner of Mindful Nutrition, located Cockeysville. If you have any questions, or would like to mommy (or family nutrition) consultation, please contact her via email or visit Mindful Nutrition online. Like the Mindful Nutrition facebook page for great tips and treats!