Everyone loves juicy, ripe peaches. I’m sure you probably don’t have any trouble getting your little one to scarf down a peach – – they’re just too darn sweet. So, in the true celebration of summer, this week’s farmer’s market challenge food item is: the fresh picked peach. (Locally grown, of course!)
There are countless recipes for incorporating peaches into desserts (cobblers, pies, ice cream, etc). But did you ever think of putting them into a savory quesadilla? Simply delicious. Toddler-friendly, too.
Try out our BBQ Chicken Peach Quesadilla recipe! Fruit, veggies, protein, dairy and grain all wrapped up into one dish the entire family (including your picky two year old) will love!
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken (we used leftover grilled barbecued chicken)
- 1 peach, sliced
- 1/2 cup of fresh spinach leaves
- 4 tablespoons of jarred mild salsa
- Fresh basil leaves
- Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (as much or as little as you’d like)
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- Olive or Canola Oil
- Put 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan. Warm over medium heat.
- Assemble the quesadillas: on top of four tortillas, sprinkle chicken, peach slices, spinach leaves, basil, 1 tablespoon of salsa and shredded cheese. Top each with a second tortilla.
- Place one quesadilla in the frying pan. Use a smaller frying pan as weight on top of the quesadilla. After about four minutes, flip the quesadilla over. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- It’s helpful to add a little touch of oil to the pan between cooking quesadillas.
Up for this week’s Farmer’s Market Challenge? Post your favorite peachy recipe on your blog/website/facebook page and link to it with Mr. Linky. Can’t wait to give your recipes a spin in our kitchen!
Be sure to check out last week’s Farmer’s Market Challenge for a tasty Okra Nuggets recipe!